Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Ten On Tuesday

1.  I had one of those weeks last week where I thought of a ton of things for a TonT post... but now I can't remember any of them!  

2.  New thing that I love: Trader Joes Chocolate Lover's 85%!  Yummmmm.  Bonus = it is made without milk.  WOOOOO HOOOOO!

3. Being off dairy stinks.  Big time.  I just have to keep reminding myself that the benefits of nursing are worth it... but some days it is really hard to feel that way.  Dairy is in everything!  But it has been confirmed to me that it is necessary - once with Cream of Chicken soup, and once (most recently) by just eating a few things that are cooked with butter.  Ugh.

4.  I have finally gotten back into the swing of things with photography, and am reminded how much I love it.  I can't wait until I am doing it as much as I want to!  The thing that will always be hard is that the busy photography season is also the busy hunting season around here.  Eventually it will necessitate a very good babysitter!

5.  Last week I read some articles and research that has been done regarding antibacterial soaps.  Now I am in the process of removing everything "anti-bacterial" from our home!  The reader's digest version: the chemical used to make them "anti-bacterial" interferes with your body's natural hormone process.  There is a theory that this is linked to early puberty and increased cancer rates.  Did you know the average person uses four anti-bac products in a DAY?!?  Add to this how it effects our water systems by making it much more difficult to treat the water properly... and I am officially jumping OFF that bandwagon.  We are back to all natural plain ol' soap in the Beeler house.  I am going to start working on all our personal care items and cleaners as well.  With all the toxins in the air/water/food these days, I want to do whatever I can to limit the ones that I know about.

6.  I do not, however, think I can ever go all-natural on the deodorant/anti-perspirant front.  I know I should... but I just don't think I can.

7.  I want a slice of pizza, people.   BAD.  

8.  Our membership to the Botanical Garden totally paid for itself by going to the pumpkin festival there. Free pumpkins for all three kids!!!  It was fun, too - I'll have pics up tomorrow.  There are a.lot.



9.  I still want a pair of cowgirl type boots.  I am not a cowgirl.  Or a horseback rider.  I live in a huge metropolis with no need for such boots.  But I still want them.  Maybe I have been reading too much Pioneer Woman for my own good.  

10.  I am trying to teach myself to be more of a homebody.  I realized yesterday that the home that I want to have, and the family environment I want to have cannot be when I am scurrying out the door every.single.day.  So, this is my goal - to stay home (aside from taking Lauren to school and back) three days a week.  It doesn't sound like much, but this is huge for me.  Usually, it is one.  One day out of five that I stay home and don't drive somewhere.  With three, I think the girls and I will have a closer relationship, and some projects might actually get done around here that have been on the back burner for months.  So, we will see!  

Have a great Tuesday, everyone!



Signature

4 comments:

Ezra, Kian & Eden said...

That butterfly pic is amazing!

Micaila said...

I agree with the staying home thing! It is hard enough getting out the door with 1 kiddo, I can't imagine 3! While I like getting out, I do feel like I have more fun with Gabe by playing outside, or going to the park, or whatever.

Also about the anti-bac soaps-we also did this about 6-8 months ago. We love Dr. Bronners in place of regular antibacterial hand soap, as well as other harsh cleaners and while I do still occasionally have the hand sanitizer on hand in the diaper bag, it rarely gets used. I am still looking for a great product for my hair that is free of all the endocrine disruptors that is also affordale. We really LOVE "Original Sprout" products that we've tried so far, which they sell at CoolCuts4Kids, but they are pricey to say the least, so we only use them on Gabe right now... But they are completely free of anything funky, and even leave out tea tree oil and lavender which are also estrogens, which I didn't know!!

Carrie said...

what a great TonT post! I will have to do some research on that anti-bacterial stuff you were talking about. I don't use the hand sanitizer, but I"m sure it's in a lot more products than I'm aware.

I'm the biggest homebody and I love it! We do get out to the playground about every day for some fresh air and go to the library once a week but most of our days have been spent on the living room floor and I know that it has given us a solid bond. My attention is 100% on Sookie and some of the fondest memories I have of our 2 years together is laughing under our fort blanket or cuddling on the couch reading books. Those are the childhood memories I want her to have, not the shuffling between stores in an overcrowded mall just for the sake of getting out the house. But of course, balance in everything!

Your pics are amazing!!! Love you,
Carrie

Catina said...

Wow! I agree with Carrie. Great TonT post :) Bummer about no milk products. I thought I had it bad. Hopefully soon she'll be all good and not need you to skip milk. Blessings to you and your family :)