Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Target Tuesday

Ok, so this is a total cop-out - but my cold is still raging strong, so this is all the energy I have for today!  I told you last week I was wanting to do more coupon-ing.  Well, the problem I have had in the past is the "stock-up" principle -- I am no good at it.  Well this week was snack food week at Super Target and I decided to try and take advantage!  The thing I love about Target is they have sales, take manufacturer coupons AND Target coupons for the same item, allowing you to double up your savings!  So here was my haul this week (minus three non-coupon items that we just needed):




2 boxes Chex cereal
2 boxes Quaker Chewy granola bars
3 boxes Nature Valley granola bars
1 bag Nature Valley nut clusters
1 box Market Pantry fruit snacks
1 box Archer Farms Pesto crackers
1 small jar Skippy Natural peanut butter
1 small bag Chex mix
1 4-pack Jimmy Dean breakfast sandwiches
1 tube Sensodyne Isoactive foaming toothpaste
1 bottle Tylenol quik releasing tablets
1 bag Peppridge Farm Brussels cookies
3 bags M&M/Twix Fun size candies
2 mini-loaves Artesian bread

Total = 21 items
With tax I paid $29.69, making each item $1.41!
The only item I would not have normally purchased was the bag of cookies, which is why I only used one of my four coupons at this time.  I should mention as well that the Tylenol retails for $4 and the toothpaste (which is a kind my dentist has urged me to buy repeatedly to no avail) is $6!

While this is not the best deal I have ever heard of, it made me feel progress in my coupon shopping to have so many items that I know we will use (especially during snack-time for the girls) cost so little!  I am hoping to have even better results on a grocery run and Walgreens trip this week, so we will see!

**For any of you who eat granola bars - the Nature Valley deal was awesome this week!  You buy three boxes of granola bars (on sale for $2.50 from $2.99) and get the nut clusters for free!!!  So, I used $0.75/2, $0.40/1 for the bars AND a $1/1 for the nut clusters bring my total for the four items to $1.50 each.  A smoking deal on what is usually a pretty pricey snack!  (Nevermind that the crunchy honey kind are my all-time favorite!)

7 comments:

Colleen said...

Stop buying medicine ANYWHERE other than Costco, do not pass go, do not collect $200, just GO and FAST! You can get 1000 Tylenol for $8.50! Granted they are generic, but I see a few generic items in there, so I don't think you are a generic phob! AND, I have taken them, they work! NICE LOOT lady, I am coming over for some of that candy. . .I never buy candy! What time were you there? I was there around 9!

Claire said...

CostCo IS usually where I buy painkillers like Tylenol. However, with my coupons for This bottle I paid a mere $1.08 so I had to just get them, even though my costco bottle is still half full! LOL!!!

I was there at lunchtime - I wanted to be there at 9AM, but that didn't work out after my morning of coupon organization! ;o)

Tamara said...

Woo-hoo - you did good - once you figure out the system, you just get hooked... and you'll get on the "stock-up" bandwagon really soon - for cereal, snacks, spaghetti sauce, pasta, paper products, laundry soap - you know, things you will use for sure and things that if you don't use, you can donate to a good cause! I'm so excited you are getting on board with couponing! You got some yummy stuff, too! Watch for the coupons on the Walgreens ads for Campbell's cream of chicken soup - they usually have a limit of 4, but get them - they are the cheapest I've seen them - they never seem to go on sale anywhere. Just a little note...

Karissa said...

Yeah for coupon-ing!! I just put my "binder" together over the weekend!! It's very addicting, and since I have a VERY addicting personality, it works out great :) You got some great stuff for a great price!

Micaila said...

Are you doing Couponsense? Or something different? I want to get into coupons hard-core, but I don't know that I want to pay for a service to do so...

the swope family said...

Go girl! I keep meaning to do a post on what I get for what price! Maybe your post will motivate me the next time I head to the store! I agree with the others, it becomes addicting!!

Hope you're feeling better today!!

Ezra, Kian & Eden said...

Look at you go! You're a pro!