Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Pumpkin carving

I am playing catch up now -- I got really behind on pictures!
More of Halloween night to be posted this evening.

Just a few shots from our pumpkin carving session Halloween morning.  We don't carve our pumpkins much earlier than that because they just get all shriveled up by the big day otherwise!

Lauren made much less of a face about cleaning out the pumpkin this year.  Notice I didn't say no face.  But after a few handfuls she was off to wash her hands!



Paige was pretty content to sit and color on her tiny pumpkin with a marker.



And when it was her turn to help clean - she was less than excited about it.



One handful and she was done.  Hey, at least we completed a rite-of-passage!

Next came the drawing and carving... and Lauren was all about that!
 


However, she was not all about acting normal for the camera when it came time to show off the pumpkins!
No kidding, I took twenty pictures - and this really was the very best one!  Sad.



I also picked up my first Bountiful Baskets produce on Halloween morning.  Here is my haul:



It is a ton of stuff for $20, but I feel like a lot of it won't get eaten with how this week has been and then Justin being gone for five days.  Not sure if I was thinking far enough ahead with this purchase!

Did I not mention that?  My hubby is off on an adventure with Brad, deer hunting in Indiana!  Hopefully he will get one, the poor guy has been "skunked", as he likes to call it - for the last three years!

ANYway... one of the things in my basket was this odd looking fruit.  Actually, a whole paper bag of them.



I took them out and said to Justin, "Now what on earth do you think these are?!?"

I Googled it, and apparently they are a Mexican fruit similar to Guava.
I opened one up and tasted it... bland.  Bad texture.  Boring.

Anyone have any idea what I could do with them?
You know, besides fruit someone's house or feed birds.

3 comments:

Tamara said...

The cutest pics ever - your girls are always dressed so cute! Lauren's hair is getting so long and so are Paige's legs - I am so shocked at how tall she looks in that pic of her up on the counter with the carved pumpkin. You Bountiful Harvest collection looks so good. I say wash and freeze the grapes - tasty snack for later... bananas look really green so they can ripen for awhile... pineapple doesn't go bad does it? Apples, onions, potatoes all store in a cool dark place - that would probably be the fridge in Phoenix - ha! Blanch and freeze your brocolli - you could also blanch your tomatoes and take skins off and just hand crush them and freeze them - get them out later for pasta or homemade salsa. Those are my ideas for your produce - I think the rest you have to eat - cantaloupe, mushrooms, avacados, and lettuce. As for the "guava" things - I'm clueless - maybe you could just peel them and puree them and make some kind of syrup with it - you know add in some "healthy" sugar and a little corn-starch to thicken it up - store in the fridge for up to 3 weeks or freeze - stir it into your plain yogurt or serve over pancakes... I'm stretching my imagination here... Anyway, thanks for sharing - I missed your ten on Tuesday post this week - maybe you'll do it on Thursday - I am behind too... Love you!

the swope family said...

I absolutely love that you took 20 pics and Lauren looked silly in them all! I'm not the only one who click, click, clicks away to have NOTHING to show for my effort!

The basket of goodies look like goodies! Maybe I should try this and therefore, stretch the limits of what our family eats!!

Micaila said...

I think they are "lemon guava" we got them too. I tried to puree them and turn them into a sauce for cheesecake, but without much success. My parent's cut all of theirs open, couldn't figure out what they were, and threw them away! They have much less pulp and juice than a "real" guava. I still have the pineapple on the counter from 2 weeks ago. I got some of those "egg" looking things from Sprouts that keep the fruit fresh. So I put a few of each fruit on the counter in a bowl to ripen, and I put the remainder in the fridge, and pull it out into the bowl a little at a time. It last for a long time that way.

I LOVE lauren's PJ's-so cute!